Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Weekly Devotion - "OPEN UP AND TALK ABOUT GOD" - Jan. 31, 2011

from Leane
GEMS Training Manager
OPEN UP AND TALK ABOUT GOD


I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly; I do not seal my lips, as you know, O LORD. I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly.
Psalm 40:9-10

I have three daughters. Two of them can be quite tight-lipped – I pull information from them with great skill, care, and timing, like a fisherman strategically reeling in the “big one.” And one daughter vomits information with ease. Sometimes I hear more than I asked for or even really needed to know!

Which of these dear girls describes the way you open up and talk about God? Are you like King David? He was quick to proclaim God’s righteousness and speak of His faithfulness and salvation (Psalm 49:9-10). Or are you like Peter in the court of the high priest when he denied Jesus (John 18:15-27)?

Does fear of people lock your lips? If so, what do we fear? Being scorned, disgraced, or shamed? Being hated or tormented? Jesus said, “I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him” (Luke 12:4-5). Warren Wiersbe wrote, “When you fear God alone, you need fear no one else; and you can boldly witness for Christ. You are important to God and precious in His sight, so never fear what people can say or do.”

To those who are tight-lipped about His name, Jesus gives this warning, “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels” (Luke 9:26).

To those who open up and talk about God, Jesus makes this promise, “I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God” (Luke 12:8).

Dear sisters, let us not hide God’s love and truth from anyone – whether brothers and sisters in Jesus, or those who are lost and in need of a Savior. The harvest of hearts that needs a personal relationship with Jesus is plentiful! They’re in your grocery store, on your street, in the schools and churches, downtown, uptown, in apartment buildings, trailer courts, suburbs, and in your home.

Think about what Jesus has done for you and be prepared to share it. Not next week, not when you have time, but today. Today ask Him to break the seal on your lips and open the floodgates of proclaiming His righteousness, declaring His love, and gently and boldly telling others about Jesus.

PASSION Step: Share with someone today what Jesus has done for you.

Souls are of the greatest value to God, and they should be to us as well.
Greg Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment