Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Weekly Devo - "Surrounded" - 2/18/2013

From Lenae, GEMS Training Manger 

Surrounded

              As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore.
Psalm 125:2

I can’t wrap my mind around it. Those were the words of a middle-aged man being interviewed this morning on television after a news-breaking tragedy.

I can’t wrap my mind around it. Is there a similar wrestling in your thought life today? This makes no sense. I don’t get it. I can’t get my head around it! Around and around we go: Why, LORD? Why this? Why now?

No matter how many times futile thoughts are looped, they can’t be wrapped and tied with a neat and tidy bow. There are some things that we simply will not understand this side of heaven. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts” (Isaiah 55:8-9).

When we can’t wrap our mind around our hurt, we need to trust in the One who encircles and surrounds us. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore (Psalm 125:2).

He goes before you. The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged” (Deuteronomy 31:8).

He walks alongside of you. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me (Psalm 23:4).

He comes behind you. The glory of the LORD will be your rear guard (Isaiah 58:8b).

He watches over you. The LORD watches over you–the LORD is your shade at your right hand (Psalm 121:5).

His mighty arms are underneath you. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms (Deuteronomy 33:27).

You’re surrounded! You hem me in–behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me (Psalm 139:5).

Think on it: What are you trying to wrap your mind around today? Surrender it to the One who surrounds you both now and forevermore.   

The things we think about, focus on, and surround ourselves with will shape who we become.
Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment