Saturday, February 2, 2013

Weekly Devo "Trade in Escape for Entrance" - 1/28



from Lenae, GEMS training manger
 
Trade in Escape for Entrance

              He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
Revelation 22:20

As young girls my sister and I would lay our backs to the grassy ground around our farm home and watch cloud formations. We talked and thought about Jesus’ return thinking that this is what Jesus meant when He said, “Keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour” (Matthew 25:13).

We also spoke very specifically about the timing of His return. We never wanted Him to return right before our birthdays and always begged Him to come before dentist appointments. As I grew, I prayed for His return during exam week, when I was sick with the flu, and when life was hard and messy.

Certainly the prayer, “Come, Lord Jesus” is good and right (Revelation 22:20). John’s vision of the new heaven and new earth should cause us to look forward with great anticipation of what is to come! (Revelation 21 & 22)

Sadly, my motives behind my prayers for Jesus’ return were clearly misguided. I cared more about fleeing my problems then seeing my Savior. I was seeking an escape route–whisk me to heaven, LORD, where there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain (Revelation 21:4). Rather than entering into death, mourning, crying, and pain with His prayer on my lips–your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven (Matthew 6:10).

Rather then seeking to escape injustice, let’s enter in and bring His Kingdom to earth by seeking justice, encouraging the oppressed, defending the cause of the fatherless and pleading the case of the widow (Isaiah 1:17).

Rather then searching for the nearest exit from a difficult relationship, let’s enter in and bring His Kingdom to earth by loving one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another (John 13:35).

Rather then looking for an escape route from plans God has for you that you don’t like, let’s enter in and bring His Kingdom to earth by trusting Him with all our heart and following Emmanuel, God with Us, wherever He leads (Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 1:23).

Think on it: What do you most want to escape today? Trade in escapist thoughts for right thoughts about entering in so His Kingdom will come to earth.

Because we know that one day God’s Kingdom will come fully on earth as it is in heaven, we work by His grace and His power to make His Kingdom come in small ways today.
Phil Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment